Burkle Sows More Wild Oats
Famed supermarket investor Ron Burkle appears to have wooed Wild Oats Market (OATS) in his bid to raise his ownership stake in the company.
Burkle, through his hedge fund, Yucaipa, increased his stake in the organic foods chain to 15%, and the company amended its shareholder rights agreement to allow him to buy up to 20% of its stock.
Wild Oats said in a regulatory filing Tuesday that it amended an earlier rights agreement with Wells Fargo Bank (WFC) to exclude Burkle and Yucaipa from the definition of "acquiring person." This allows the firm to acquire beneficial ownership up to 20% of Wild Oats' outstanding common stock without triggering its so-called poison pill, a mechanism designed to prevent takeovers from outside investors.
"This indicates that Wild Oats looks at Burkle as a potential acquirer positively," says Scott Van Winkle, analyst with Canaccord Adams. "It's not like he's going to make a run at the company without their cooperation. The only reason to have a shareholder rights plan is to avoid acquisitions you don't want, so this means they probably have interest in having Burkle buy them."But Sonja Tuitele, a Wild Oaks spokeswoman, downplayed Burkle's moves. "Anything can happen, but I wouldn't take this as a sign
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV