Study Setback Rocks ImClone
ImClone Systems (IMCL) and Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) said the drug Erbitux failed to reach the principal goal of a late-stage study involving patients with pancreatic cancer, sending shares of both lower.
The companies had hoped the Phase III trial would show Erbitux, when combined with gemcitabine chemotherapy, improved overall survival, but the primary endpoint wasn't met. The participants in the study had locally advanced irremovable or metastatic pancreatic cancer.
ImClone was sinking 7.5% to $39.16, and Bristol-Myers was off 0.4% at $27.54.
More than 700 patients were involved in the trial, which compared Erbitux plus gemcitabine to the chemo alone."We still consider pancreatic cancer to be of the utmost priority, and we intend to pursue additional evaluations with Erbitux including a pilot study of Erbitux and bevacizumab with or without gemcitabine, as well as our pipeline agents, to improve the outcome for patients with pancreatic cancer," stated Eric K. Rowinsky, chief medical officer and senior vice president at ImClone. Erbitux has already received U.S. regulatory approval for treating colorectal cancer and cancer of the head and neck.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV