JDS Uniphase Boosts Guidance
Updated from July 28
JDS Uniphase (JDSU) shares jumped 12% Thursday after the optical networking company posted a fourth-quarter loss.
For its quarter ended June 30, the San Jose, Calif., maker of optical networking components posted a loss of $24.3 million, or 2 cents a share. That's narrower than the year-ago $61.6 million, or 4 cents a share. Revenue rose to $174 million from $161 million a year earlier.
Excluding one-time items, the company lost $14.5 million, or a penny a share. Analysts expected a penny-a-share loss on sales of $167 million for the fourth quarter.Looking ahead to the fiscal first quarter ending in September, the telecom parts maker expects its pro forma loss to widen a penny to 2 cents a share. But JDS also called for a sequential increase in sales of somewhere between 8% and 13%. Analysts polled by Thomson Analytics expected break-even results on sequential top-line growth of slightly more than 2%. JDS rose 35 cents to $3.35.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV