Market Pans Overture's AltaVista Buyout
Overture, a thriving pay-per-listing search engine that earned $73 million last year, hopes to use AltaVista's technology to help sharpen the relevance of the content on Web sites returned by its search engine. AltaVista once owned the premier search engine on the Web, but slowly surrendered its hegemony to Google after failing to get a $300 million initial offering priced just before the Internet bubble popped in the spring of 2001.
Overture shares were hammered on the acquisition, falling almost 14% to $19.65. Part of the loss reflected ordinary dilution concerns in light of the large stock component of the buyout, but some also worried that the deal could bother some of Overture's partners, who until now hadn't seen the company as a competitor in the straight-search space.
There was also debate about how much dilution the deal would actually cause. Overture will pay $60 million in cash, stock currently valued at $80 million, and will assume some of AltaVista's liabilities, and said only that the buyout will hurt results this year before adding to earnings in the future. A Salomon analyst put the dilution above 5 cents a share.CMGI was up 13 cents to 96 cents in what amounts to a 16% gain for the stock, which once traded at $150.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV