The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
1. Is That a Sugar Cube in Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy to See Me?
Everybody forgets the lessons of history. But Forbes Editor-in-Chief Steve Forbes is doing it at record speed.
Anyway, we're here to talk about Mr. "Flat Tax" Forbes' latest cockamamie idea, one we learned about from a piece of junk mail sent to the Five Dumbest Things Research Lab.
It's Forbes' new Nanotech Report, a $295-a-year newsletter intended to guide your investments in nanotechnology, which we at the research lab formally define as "the science of itty-bitty things."Nanotechnology is "the next, next big thing!" writes Steve. As in, a cash-out-all-your-shares-of- Microsoft (MSFT)-and-invest-in-this opportunity. As in, get-in-on-the-ground-floor-before-it's-too-late hot. "I know with absolute certainty that nanotechnology WILL change the world in ways it is still difficult to imagine!" screams a mug shot of Forbes from the mailing's envelope. "For the long-term investor, it represents a greater opportunity for profits than even the PC revolution." The prose is even more frantic in the enclosed 12-page letter from newsletter editor Josh Wolfe. "To say that nanotechnology is going to be huge is an understatement! It's not some Wall Street fad," writes Wolfe. "By 2015, the nanotech market will be worth $1 trillion!"
- "Engineered molecules" that can be "the key to curing diseases."
- "A sugar-cube-sized supercomputer capable of storing everything in the Library of Congress."
- "Smart combat fatigues" that detect biological weapons, secrete "the appropriate blocking agent" and change colors like a chameleon.
- "Bathrooms that never need cleaning."
- "Automobile tires that never go flat."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV