Falling Oil Sets Trap
Editor's Note: This is a bonus story from Barry Ritholtz, whose commentary usually appears only on RealMoney
. This column was originally published at 3:29 p.m. EST Tuesday. We're offering it today to TheStreet.com
readers. To read Ritholtz's commentary regularly, please
Having mulled over a variety of possible outcomes with oil and its impact on equity markets, I cannot shake one troubling scenario that I call the "oil trap." It keeps coming up as I consider various crude price moves. What is so dastardly about the trap is that it sets up both bulls and bears for heartache.
Unfortunately, I consider it a very high-possibility scenario.
How the Trap Got SetAs someone who has been bullish on oil since December 2003 -- and mentioned a $57 target
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV