The Worst Biotech CEO of 2013 is Vijay Samant of Vical (VICL).
Samant wins this year's (dis)honor for putting melanoma patients in harm's way by delaying the analysis of Vical's allovectin phase III study. When Samant finally got around to announcing the study results -- years later than expected -- melanoma patients treated with allovectin fared worse than patients treated with conventional chemotherapy.
It takes a special kind of moral bankruptcy to cause more pain and suffering to already critically sick melanoma patients, but that's kind of biotech CEO Samant is, so the award is well deserved.
Someone out there is particularly angry at Samant because he won with an astonishing 71% of the 14,140 votes cast.
The runner-up this year was Ariad Pharma's (ARIA) Harvey Berger with 14% of the votes cast. Aveo Pharma's (AVEO) Tuan Ha Ngoc, John Johnson of Dendreon (DNDN) and Amarin's (AMRN) Joe Zakrzewaski placed third, fourth and fifth, respectively.
A special shout-out of Zakrzewski for announcing his "retirement" from Amarin on Monday.
This year's Best Biotech CEO was Celgene's (CELG) Bob Hugin.
-- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV