NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Five large-cap U.S. banks have shown double-digit compound annual growth in tangible book value per share over the past three years.
This is important for investors, because it shows sustained underlying earnings growth, which drives share prices higher. The entire banking industry has been in recovery mode, as evidenced by a 26% increase in the KBW Bank Index (BKX) this year, followed by a 30% increase during 2012. But sustained earnings strength and growth in tangible book value bodes well for long-term investors, even after the industry has returned to more normal valuations.
"At this point in the cycle, we do not view tangible book value (TBV) as a meaningful measure of valuation. After all, if a bank stock is still trading at a low price-to-tangible book multiple 5 years after the financial crisis, then chances are the low valuation is more indicative of sub-par earnings power rather than a mispriced valuation," KBW analyst Christopher Mutascio wrote in a client note on Tuesday. "However, we still find value in measuring TBV per share growth, as it can demonstrate which banks are generating shareholder value over time, regardless of the short-term moves in stock prices," he wrote.
According to KBW's data, these five large-cap banks have shown the most rapid growth in tangible book value per share for the three-year period ended Sept. 30.
- U.S. Bancorp (USB) of Minneapolis saw its tangible book value increased 50.7% to $13.40 a share as of Sept. 30 from $9.49 in September 2010, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.0%.
- Wells Fargo's (WFC) tangible book value increased 50.6% over the same period, to $23.23 as of Sept. 30, for a CAGR of 16.9%.
- Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) of Cincinnati saw its tangible book value grow 34.4% for the three-year period to $13.09 as of Sept 30, for CAGR of 11.5%.
- Huntington Bancshares (HBAN) of Columbus, Ohio, saw 34.1% growth in tangible book value over three years to $6.10 as of Sept 30, with a CAGR of 11.4%.
- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) placed fifth, with tangible book value per share growing 33.8% for the three-year period to $39.51 as of Sept. 30, for a CAGR of 11.3%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV