Credit costs in Citigroup's Global Consumer Banking unit "increased 29% (34% in constant dollars) vs. the prior-year period, driven by increases in Latin America GCB reflecting portfolio growth and seasoning as well as specific loan loss reserve builds in Mexico related to Citi's exposure to homebuilders as well as the impact of potential losses related to the recent hurricanes in the region," Citigroup stated in a press release.
A shift in Mexican housing policy to encourage urban apartment development has been costly for Mexican homebuilders that made large land purchases in suburban areas. The homebuilders had been counting on government subsidies at the time they acquired the suburban land, and now are struggling to pay off lenders, including Citigroup's Banamex unit.
Citigroup told Reuters in July, exposure to Mexico's three largest homebuilders, Geo, Urbiand Homex was just $300 million. U.S.-listed shares of Homex Development (HXM), the largest of the group, hit a mult-year low of $1.27 July 31 and were worth $1.72 per share in early trading Tuesday.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV