NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The $260 million initial public offering of electronic music festival producer SFX Entertainment (SFXE) signals that not only is the music playing in IPO markets, you've got to get up and dance.
But this offering could also indicate a bubble-like mentality spreading in IPO's, as investors and bankers try to launch the next billion-dollar business on public stock markets. If the company's primary business is putting on electronic dance festivals, investors would do well to question whether they are arriving late to the party.
SFX Entertainment is a deeply unprofitable business that faces large competitive and legal risks. Nevertheless, the company is selling shares in an unusual IPO at a price that gives the firm a valuation of over $1 billion.
The company's founder Robert F.X. Sillerman, however, has a significant track record in the concert and promotion industry after creating LiveNation (LYV), a company he sold to Clear Channel for over $4 billion dollars, and CKX, Inc., a vehicle he used to acquire rights to Elvis Presley's Graceland estate and the hit TV show American Idol. Sillerman sold CKX to Apollo Management in 2011.With SFX Entertainment, Sillerman is seeking to grow the electronic dance music
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV