NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Nokia's (NOK) announcement of the release of six new Windows-based Nokia phones and a tablet on Oct. 22 is actually more exciting news for Microsoft (MSFT) investors than for Nokia's.
Earlier this month, Microsoft agreed to buy almost all of Nokia's devices and license patents. The transaction is expected to close within the first quarter of 2014, and investors should regard Nokia's ongoing phone strategy as Microsoft's. Nokia may be going through the motions, but for all practical purposes, the new devices are de facto Microsoft products.
Selling tablets has been the nemesis for Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), BlackBerry (BBRY) and Barnes & Noble (BKS). Despite less than tenacious sales of Surface, consumers will soon have another tablet from which to choose.
Microsoft may feel like it's pushing a rock up a hill trying to capture market share from Apple (AAPL) and Amazon (AMZN) in the tablet space, but it does strengthen Microsoft's competitive position with Google (GOOG).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV