NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The volatile price performances of the homebuilder stocks in 2013 have provided trading opportunities as an important segment of our economy attempts to return to leadership.
On Sept. 9 I wrote,
Housing Bubble Is Re-inflating and included the fact that at the May 20 high for the
PHLX Housing Sector Index
Chart Courtesy of Thomson/ReutersThe daily chart for the housing index shows declining momentum with the index trading around its 200-day SMA at 183.83 with the 21-day and 50-day SMAs as supports at 176.13 and 176.00. The index is between my semiannual and quarterly pivots at 180.52 and 185.61. When the housing index was at its May 20 high most of the homebuilders had triple-digit gains over the last 12 months. Today only three have double-digit gains and five now show losses over the last 12 months. In my Sept. 9 post I also showed that seven of 11 had hold ratings with two having sell ratings and two having strong sell ratings. All were trading below their 200-day SMAs. In addition, there was some upside potential given housing data suggesting a re-inflating bubble. Back at the May highs all were well above their 200-day SMAs, which indicated risk of reversion to the mean for all 11.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV