WASHINGTON, D.C. ( The Deal) -- A council of regulators set up to identify emerging threats to the economy on Friday, Sept. 20, officially designated Prudential (PRU) as "systemically important," arguing that the big interconnected insurance firm would have a hard time selling assets in a period of financial stress, and as a result, it could eventually "inflict significant damage on the broader economy."
The categorization will likely eventually subject the insurance giant to additional capital, more liquidity and oversight by the Federal Reserve Board based on its potential risk to the financial system. Prudential is the third nonbank to receive the designation. A number of major U.S. banks have been given the designation.
The big insurer will likely be required to write a so-called "living will" and explain to regulators how it would dismantle itself in a way that does not cause collateral damage to the markets.The government council, which is made up of bank and securities regulators, defended its action. It noted that because of Prudential's "interconnectedness, size, certain characteristics of its liabilities and products,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV