NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The big news out of the Federal Reserve meeting on Wednesday was that Fed officials have chosen not to taper just yet. That led to a spike higher in almost all asset classes.
To look at the fundamentals, there was a strong case against tapering now. Although this is in hindsight, that the Fed reduced its growth outlook yesterday was the first signal that tapering was probably not yet on the table.
Reducing growth forecasts and then telling markets support to help that growth will be removed is somewhat counterintuitive.
Meanwhile, bank lending rates are at multiyear lows. Bank lending simply hasn't returned to its pre-recession levels. The gradual nature of the economic recovery as seen in the data has led to a slower-than-expected return to credit lending growth.The talk of Fed tapering hasn't helped lending, either, as higher rates have made it more expensive to borrow. And so it didn't seem like a wise time for the Fed to start forcing rates higher. Lastly, with Larry Summers out of the race as new Federal Reserve chairman, Janet Yellen, now the Fed's vice chairwoman, is perceived as the front-runner. She is said to be dovish in her policy stance, which means she would probably prefer to keep stimulus measures in place. (GDX).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV