NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Since the Federal Reserve apparently intends to rein in bond purchases, investors have pulled funds out of emerging markets due to higher U.S. interest rates and a stronger dollar.
The lack of easy credit and fewer dollars circulating through financial markets have caused investors to pull funds out of countries like India. As funds were pulled, the Indian rupee vastly depreciated against the dollar, leading to a massive current account deficit.
It's a classic balance of payments crisis, where speculators attack a weak currency and quickly devalue it.
The Reserve Bank of India has raised short-term interest rates to try to fend off short sellers. That has had negative effects, though, as struggling corporations have seen their borrowing costs increase.(USO) over WisdomTree Indian Rupee (ICN). The pair represents oil priced in rupees. As the rupee has fallen, commodities have inflated in price, weighing heavily on the Indian consumer. With the International Monetary Fund stating that emerging markets need to produce domestic demand for growth as the global economy gradually recovers, high oil prices will continue to weigh on Indian consumers' spending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV