NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Regional bank stocks were weak on a slow Friday for trading activity, as is traditional heading into the long Labor Day weekend
First Niagara Financial Group (FNFG) of Buffalo, N.Y., was the loser among large U.S banks, with shares down 1.5% to close at $10.10.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was down 0.6% to close at 62.20, with all but two of the index components ending lower. Commerce Bancshares (CBSH) of Kansas City, Mo., was down 2% close at $43.19. Index components seeing declines of 1% or more included Cullen/Frost Bankers (CFR) of San Antonio, which closed at $70.83; KeyCorp (KEY) of Cleveland, closing at $11.67; New York Community Bancorp (NYCB), at $14.65, SunTrust (STI) of Atlanta, at $32.02; and Zions Bancorporation (ZION) of Salt Lake City, with shares closing at $27.97.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average
Economic ReportsThe Bureau of Economic Analysis said consumer spending increased by 0.1% during July, down from an upwardly revised 0.6% in June. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters had expected consumer spending to increase by 0.3% during July. U.S. personal income also increased by 0.1% during July, down from 0.3% the previous month and short of the 0.2% expected by economists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV