NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Although most investors are familiar with the popular market cap-weighted ETFs, Tony Davidow, vice president of Schwab Center for Financial Research, tells TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg that demand for fundamental ETFs is increasing.
In the popular market cap-weighted funds, the largest companies have the largest weighting, but Davidow says bigger isn't always better.
Fundamentally weighted ETFs are different, he said. The allocation goes toward companies with robust sales, solid cash flow, or strong dividends and stock-buyback programs.
Demand first arose from institutional investors. Davidow said they wanted exposure to specific sectors or industries, and not just the biggest companies, but the most efficient as well.Then the individual investor got involved, which is a good thing, he said. Using fundamental funds, individual investors can diversify their portfolios among growth stocks, value stocks and stocks with strong dividends. Although Charles Schwab (SCHW) recently introduced six new ETFs, Davidow said he doesn't expect market cap-weighted ETFs like the SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (SPY) to go away. Instead, he said that fundamental ETFs are a nice complement to the market cap-weighted ETFs. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV