NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The market's focus this week was on interest rates, which affected assets across the board from the U.S. dollar to gold. Oil, however, is still more influenced by geopolitical risks.
Minutes from the Federal Reserve's last Open Market Committee meeting, released on Wednesday, showed that although rates have spiked higher, the Fed has done ittle to push the market in the opposite direction.
That could be a signal that Fed members no longer desire to hedge their policy by taking one stance during official meetings and then quickly redirecting markets in the coming days. Analysts believe that indicates a September start date to slow down quantitative easing.
The first chart below is of the U.S dollar futures contract. The dollar had disregarded increasing rates over the past few months as investors sold bonds and the dollar on policy uncertainty. As the Fed's policy change has become more probable, investors have turned back to the fundamentals and resumed bidding dollars higher alongside higher rates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV