NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While retail sales may have come in lower-than-expected on Tuesday, the market didn't seem to mind. But that may change with the sector reporting earnings, says TheStreet's Debra Borchardt and Cuttone & Company's Senior Vice President Keith Bliss.
Investors were disappointed when Macy's (M) reported earnings on Wednesday morning, and with Wal-Mart (WMT), Kohl's (KSS) and other retailers scheduled for later this week, the retail sector could be headed lower.
However, department stores and teen retailer disappointments could just be the beginning, according to Bliss. He said construction supply, home improvement stores and furniture sales were all down month-over-month.
Aiding the argument was Deere & Co. (DE), which reported earnings on Wednesday. The company posted an 11% decline from last year in its forestry division. In other words, demand for lumber, which is used for housing, was lower.Should the strength in the housing market dwindle, then the overall economy will likely begin to slow as a result. Bliss added that 70% of the GDP is consumer-driven, and that economists may begin to scale back growth estimates, if retailers continue to struggle. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV