NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- PayPal is jumping on the trend of using one's own body for verification purposes, announcing it's started to test a mobile app feature that allows users in the UK to make purchases using a facial verification system.
The system, which PayPal unveiled earlier this year, is currently being tested among twelve merchants in London. Customers can search for participating retailers on their PayPal app (available for iOS, Android, and Windows) and "check in," after which their photograph is visible on the store's interface.
This process is similar to check-ins through apps like Facebook (FB) and Foursquare. When customers have checked in and are ready to make a purchase, the retailer charges them by clicking on the customer's image on the business' own PayPal app. The customer then receives an alert on their phone and an email receipt.
PayPal is a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay (EBAY ).--Written by Laura Berman in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV