NEW YORK ( The Deal) -- Spectra Energy Partners LP (SEP) of Houston said Tuesday, Aug. 6, it agreed to buy U.S. natural gas transmission, storage and liquids assets from affiliate Spectra Energy Corp. (SE), also of Houston, for $12.3 billion, making Spectra Energy Partners one of the country's top pipeline and storage master limited partnerships.
The price includes $2.2 billion in cash and 172 million in newly issued limited partner units and 3.5 million in newly issued general partner units worth $7.6 billion based on Spectra Energy Partners' unit price yesterday. Spectra Energy Partners also will assume about $2.5 billion of acquired asset debt.
Spectra Energy Partners said the transaction's 2014 Ebitda multiple is 9.3 times based on the volume weighted average unit price of $36.12 for the 10 days ending June 11, when Spectra Energy announced its plans for the drop-down. The entities expect to close the deal by year's end.
Analysts at Tudor Pickering Holt & Co. Securities Inc. said the deal is at a higher multiple than Spectra Energy first indicated and based on Spectra's current stock price, it works out to 10.4 times. "Robust U.S. transmission growth backlog provides growth visibility for SEP
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV