BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- As the first trading session kicks off for August, investors are finally getting a taste of summer doldrums.
Stocks have been trading sideways for the past couple of weeks now, after rallying more than 5% from July 1. That horizontal price action isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. After a big move like we've just experienced, consolidation periods give markets a chance to take a breath. They're healthy for rallies.
Historically, summer is the time of the year when the stock market is on snooze. And since that hasn't been the case so far this summer, we're overdue for some dull trading. But just because the broad market is range-bound doesn't mean that all stocks are nodding off. Sure enough, there are still some tradable setups shaping up in a handful of Wall Street's biggest names this week.
Today, we'll take a technical look at five of them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV