NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. homebuyers are getting creative and aggressive in the search for the perfect house.
In fact, the real estate market has become so competitive that about two-thirds of all U.S. homebuyers say they would use "aggressive" tactics to buy a home, including paying all the seller's closing costs and placing a bid well above the asking price for a home, according to Trulia.com's (TRLA) latest homebuyer survey.
"The recent increase in mortgage rates hasn't slowed demand as long as home affordability remains high," said Bob Walters, chief economist at Quicken Loans . "We are, however, seeing an increased urgency from potential new homebuyers as they move to secure today's historically low rates."Realtor.com. Trulia adds that home prices in so-called "hot markets" such as Oakland, Calif., and Las Vegas have risen by over 15%. Some additional numbers from Trulia:
- 38% of buyers in the nation's "hottest" markets worry they won't find a home for sale they like.
- 33% of buyers in those "hot" markets worry they will have to compete with other buyers over their dream home.
- 30% of homebuyers worry they won't qualify for a mortgage.
- U.S. households with annual incomes of more than $100,000 annually are more likely to bid higher than a home seller's asking price and more likely to offer to pay the seller's closing costs to clinch a deal.
- U.S. households with less than $50,000 in annual income are more likely to borrow from family or friends to make a 20% deposit on a new home.
- Younger homebuyers are especially aggressive about locking down a home deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV