PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- There's a question that gets asked on just about every barroom trivia circuit in America: What are the only two days of the year in the United States when no professional sporting events take place?
If you're at one of these events and the correct answer is "the days before and after Major League Baseball's All-Star Game," protest vociferously.
This is one of the last conceits baseball has left: That the sporting world supposedly stops rotating when the lineups its fans vote into the All-Star Game take the field. The All-Star Game may be a big moneymaker for MLB, but there's way too much at stake for sports to just drop what it's doing for two days at a clip.
ESPN has multiple channels with multiple hours of programming to fill. Advertisers have a lot of inventory to move and a long way to go until the holiday season. More importantly, the typical American television viewer has more to watch on a midsummer Monday and Wednesday than ever before, thanks to pay-per-view options and Internet streaming.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV