NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO James Dimon in an interview on CNBC with Jim Cramer on Friday expressed confidence that the New York banking giant could compete in the mortgage business with Wells Fargo.
Cramer added "Wells is not seeing those numbers."
JPMorgan reported a 7% drop in mortgage originations from the previous quarter to $49 billion as interest rates rates rose, while Wells Fargo still managed a slight 3% increase to $112 billion.JPMorgan said the sharp rise in interest rates had hurt refinancing volume more than expected. If rates stay at this level or move higher, the refinance market could fall by 30% to 40%, CFO Marianne Lake told analysts during the conference call following results. While the purchase market was still doing well, it was unlikely to offset the decline in refinancing. Referring to Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf, Cramer asked Dimon "Is he just out-mortgaging you?" Dimon said "Yes he is. I love John Stumpf, they do a better job in the mortgage business than us," but added that following the acquisitions of Bear Stearns and the failed Washington Mutual, "our systems weren't great." Dimon went on to say "we
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV