By Steve Cordasco and Jason Mardinly
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- One of the worst mistakes I see investors make is to automatically equate investment performance with total account value.
They tear open the monthly statement, look at the principal and immediately judge the performance of their investments based on which way the bottom line moved.
Then they compound that mistake by making reallocation decisions based on this information in an attempt to "fix" the perceived problem (or chase illusory profits).(KMG) and Lockheed Martin (LMT) helped offset some of the price decline. In 2008, KMG paid more in 2008, $3.89 per share, vs. 2007's $3.36. In 2012 KMG paid dividends of $4.85 per share, more than outpacing the federal government's reported amount of inflation. Likewise, Lockheed paid $1.42 in 2007 dividends but $1.83 in 2008. In 2012 Lockheed paid common shareholders a whopping $4.12 per share in cash dividends. The monthly (or quarterly) statement shows more than just the account summary; it also has an income summary, which includes dividends earned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV