NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- First Horizon National (FHN), SunTrust Banks (STI) and BB&T (BBT) are among U.S. banks best-positioned to benefit from Basel 3 rules governing bank capital, analysts argued Tuesday.
Citigroup analyst Keith Horowitz singled out those three banks in particular as standing to gain from changes in the way mortgages are evaluated in terms of risk under the international rules, which were approved and detailed by the U.S. Federal Reserve Tuesday.
The rules "move from an LTV
Evercore Partners analysts also included First Horizon and SunTrust in a list of 10 banks they expect to benefit from what they called "risk weight relief" on residential mortgages. Bank of America (BAC) and Regions Financial (RF) were also on that list. Evercore analysts did not single out BB&T as benefiting from the Basel 3 rules, however in the same note they listed it as one of five top sector picks, along with Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase (JPM), State Street Corp. (STT) and Zions Bancorporation (ZION).-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV