While analysts were looking for earnings of about 8 cents per share, BlackBerry reported a loss of 13 cents per share.
On top of that, BlackBerry missed revenue estimates by nearly 10%, and Borchardt said the company also missed on nearly every other metric, including unit sales and subscribers -- which declined over the quarter.
The company did not provide unit sales. This is different from companies such as Apple (AAPL), which put all of its numbers out in the open.Rogers said that with restructuring efforts going on in the background and the recent management shakeup, BlackBerry's turnaround looks like it will take longer than most had originally thought. The company is also putting its tablet on the backburner, since management doesn't think "there's going to be a tablet market five years from now," Borchardt said. She added that the market didn't seem too convinced of this new thesis. Rogers wasn't either, saying that it was "nonsense," and pointed to Apple's continued success in the area. He concluded that he would stay on the sidelines for BlackBerry, citing too many unknowns for the company at this time. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV