NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - John Malone's Liberty Media (LMCA) continues to press a merger with Time Warner Cable (TWC) using its 27% holding in cable system Charter Communications (CHTR), Bloomberg News reports.
After being rebuffed earlier in June, Malone is continuing to work on structuring a deal that would be the largest in size since a media industry merger wave over a decade ago, according to the Bloomberg report.
Time Warner shares gained over 8% to $112.01 in Thursday afternoon trading, while Charter shares gained over 5% to $125.72. Liberty Media shares gained over 2.5% to $127.51.
Still, according to the Bloomberg report, Time Warner is not interested in a merger, given the cable giant's larger size.According to industry analysts, a deal for Time Warner would only likely occur at a significant premium to the company's $30 billion market-plus cap, potentially out of reach of smaller competitors like Liberty Media and Charter Communications. "Our conclusion is that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV