The company reported lower profits from a bad spring season, but higher revenue due to recent price hikes.
While Cramer was a little envious of Monsanto earlier this year as it moved from $77 to over $100, he is finding both comfort and opportunity in a different name.
DuPont (DD), which has also experienced a slight selloff due to weather related concerns, should be fine according to Cramer, citing the exceptionally strong customer demand for DuPont products. DD is a holding in his charitable trust, Action Alerts Plus.He also pointed out that DuPont isn't as weather-dependent as Monsanto and is a more diversified company. He added that the current price offers investors a solid entry into the stock. The company has spread its business across the board and is more than just a fuel and chemical company. It has been able to use the waste products from certain materials and make different, quality products out of them, such as tires. Cramer concluded that while Monsanto is a great company, he'll take DuPont for the dividend and modest growth, while not being held hostage to the spring weather patterns. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV