The Brooklyn-based company was bought for $400 million, plus an additional $200 million in future billings. But as Borchardt added, many think Stratasys might have pulled off an incredible deal, because the acquisition means it is able to penetrate the individual consumer and small-l business market, rather than relying just on commercial sales.
Worries are now easing about the 3D printing space, said Ciaccia, adding that many thought it would only fit the needs of industrial companies and hobbyists.
With the introduction of the use of metal in the printing process and as the both the price of printers and the cost of the technology behind them decreases, we could really see the industry take off, he said.While the deal might not affect 3D Systems (DDD) all that much, it certainly could pack a punch for Autodesk (ADSK). "If I were Autodesk, I'd be pretty upset, because now my product's going to lose my audience," Borchardt said about what the deal means for the individual consumer market. Ciaccia concurred, adding, "Stratasys and MakerBot have deals with Amazon (AMZN) to really build 3D printing into something that people are going to buy." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV