BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Here's a list of 10 bio-pharma stocks with the highest short interest as we near the mid-point of 2013, according to S&P Capital IQ. Many of the stocks on this list won't surprise anyone because they've been bull-bear battlegrounds for years. You might be surprised by the stock with the highest short interest today, so read on.
10. InterMune (ITMN)
Shorts say: The European commercial launch of Esbriet is still a slow work in progress. Competition could negatively impact InterMune next year when Boehringer Ingelheim is expected to announce results from phase III studies of nintedanib. Then there's the uncertainty surrounding InterMune's own U.S.-based phase III study of Esbriet -- results are also expected next year.9. Hyperion Therapeutics (HPTX) Short interest: 26% of float ^NBI data by YCharts
Shorts say: Can Hyperion really get away with charging $295,000 per year for Ravicti as a therapy for urea cycle disorders, even if it's more convenient than the less expensive alternative, Buphenyl? 8. Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) Short interest: 26.5% of float ^NBI data by YCharts
Shorts say: Belviq is a weak weight-loss drug. The commercial launch will be disappointing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV