NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold is at a key support level, and you may want to use this time to reevaluate your reasons for owning the soft yellow metal. The usual suspects for owning physical or paper gold include hedging against inflation, use as money during times of unrest, speculation, and the cool factor of looking at gold coins.
About a year ago, I alerted investors that it was time to move out of gold and look for other investments. Included in comments from readers was a lively amount of enthusiasm and reasons why my thesis was incorrect. Gold has declined, but investors shouldn't ignore the opportunity cost of owning physical gold.
There isn't a logical reason to argue against owning gold coins for the wow factor. If you naturally like owning coins to hold and look at, you should own a few. It's an emotional decision, not unlike buying a Corvette that will sit in the garage 95% of the time. If it makes you feel happy, why not.
However, if your motivations are hedging against Washington money printing, and or apocalypse, physical gold may not harbor the best solution. A common phrase I've heard about owning gold is, "You should have enough gold to bribe border guards." Although history has shown that can be a solution, it's not the best solution.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV