Royalty is offering $12.50 per share for Elan plus another $2.50 per share contingent on the multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri hitting certain sales targets. However, Royalty's tender offer was forced to lapse because Elan shareholders voted to approve one of four proposals made by company management.
The other three proposals, including a royalty agreement with Theravance (THRX) and the acquisition of a privately held drug maker, were rejected.
Royalty has petitioned the Irish courts to allow its tender offer to remain valid despite the vote of Elan shareholders. A hearing on the issue is scheduled for Wednesday.On Friday, Elan put itself up for sale, acknowledging that shareholders were going to reject its proposals for restructuring the company. A rival bidder for Elan seems unlikely. Any other company outside of Royalty Pharma interested in acquiring Elan would have stepped up by now. Elan shares closed Friday at $13.66. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV