NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Sorry, Elon Musk fans. You're going to have wait a while for SpaceX to go public.
Musk, who is CEO of SpaceX and Tesla Motors (TSLA), said that the nature of the business is very divergent from Wall Street's mentality, and an initial public offering would do more harm than good at this point.
"No near-term plans to IPO @SpaceX," Musk said in a tweet. "Only possible in very long term when Mars Colonial Transporter is flying regularly."
No near term plans to IPO @ spacex. Only possible in very long term when Mars Colonial Transporter is flying regularly.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 6, 2013The popular Musk, who was recently interviewed by TheStreet, noted the conflicting time frames between what Wall Street cares about (quarter-to-quarter data), versus what it would take to develop a trip to Mars.
Mars requires developing complex technology over a decade+, but market cares about next 3 months. Result would be conflicting priorities.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 6, 2013Musk noted there is a lot a of pressure from investors as a public company, saying it's "hard not to feel super bad if u don't make
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV