NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Hulu has become a hot property in recent weeks, as multiple bids have come in for the company, including Yahoo! (YHOO). Now, AT&T (T) is reported to have thrown its hat in the ring. I'm just not sure why.
AllThingsD reports that AT&T is interested in joining with The Chernin Group to bid for the online entertainment company. So far, the other potential buyers are DirectTV (DTV), Time Warner Cable (TWC), private equity firms KKR, Guggenheim Digital and Silverlake Partners, as well as the aforementioned Yahoo!, and talent agency William Morris Endeavor.
The major problem with Hulu, and it has been for years, is who actually owns the content and what the licenses will be if the company changes hands. Hulu is owned by Walt Disney (DIS), News Corp. (NWSA) and Comcast (CMCSA), via its ownership in NBCUniversal. Given the increased premium placed on video content, it's pretty clear that any deal for Hulu would have issues with the content rights.
"Whatever price they
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV