NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- KeyCorp (KEY) is very well positioned for rising interest rates, and its conservative strategy and "above-peer capital levels" have set up an attractive long-term play for investors, according to Oppenheimer analyst Terry McEvoy.
"Sentiment on Key is improving as investors reassess the prospects from more consistent growth led by a management team that is proving to be more disciplined with excess capital," McEvoy wrote in a note to clients on Sunday.
McEvoy rates KeyCorp of Cleveland "outperform," with a 12-to-18-month price target of $12.00. The analyst estimates the bank will earn 87 cents a share this year, with EPS rising to a dollar in 2014.
KeyCorp's shares closed at $10.78 Friday, returning 29% this year, following a 12% return during 2012. The shares trade for 11.2 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of 96 cents, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is 89 cents.KeyCorp's shares this year have outperformed the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX), which was up 20% through Friday, underlining a second consecutive year of stellar performance for banks stocks. Early last month, KBW analyst Christopher Mutascio wrote that the run-up in KeyCorp's shares to $10.23 on May 7 was " unjustified," because the shares were trading at higher valuations than many other large-cap banks that posted stronger earnings. With all boats continuing to rise since then, Mutascio's observation on valuations continues to hold true.
Here's a quick look at the lower forward price-to-earnings valuations for four big banks that beat KeyCorp's first-quarter return on average assets (ROA) of 0.99:
- Wells Fargo's (WFC) first-quarter ROA was 1.41% and its return on average tangible common equity, or ROTCE, was 17.76%. The shares closed at $40.55 Friday, trading for 10.4 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.90.
- U.S. Bancorp (USB) of Minneapolis achieved a first-quarter ROA was 1.65% and its ROTCE was a very strong 23.79%. The company has been the best earnings performer among the 24 components of the KBW Bank Index through and after the credit crisis. The shares closed at $35.06 Friday, trading for 10.8 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.24.
- For BB&T (BBT) of Winston-Salem, N.C., the first-quarter ROA was 1.11% and the ROTCE was 8.25%. The shares closed at $32.92 Friday, trading for 10.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.10.
- Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) of Cincinnati had a first-quarter ROA of 1.34% and ROTCE of 15.23%. The shares closed at $18.20 Friday, trading for 10.5 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.73. Applying the multiple of 12.9 to KBW's 2014 EPS estimate of $1.77 would lead to a price target of $23, for upside potential of 31%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV