NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) subsidiary MidAmerican Energy's $5.6 billion cash deal for Las Vegas utility NV Energy (NVE) sheds light on the conglomerate's plans in renewable energy as large investments in solar energy plants built by First Solar (FSLR) and SunPower (SPRW) come online in coming years.
MidAmerican Energy, which recently bought three of the largest solar energy plants in the world, is poised to be among the world's top generators of renewable energy by 2015. Already, Berkshire's energy subsidiary is the top generator of wind energy in the U.S. and has renewable assets of 1,830 megawatts, according to company projections.
Acquisitions such as NV Energy and Berkshire's stated plan for $100 billion in capital expenditure at MidAmerican Energy over the next 10 to 15 years also indicate Berkshire will be an aggressor in the utilities sector in coming years.
Wednesday's deal, which values NV Energy at $23.75 a share, or an enterprise value of about $10 billion, will allow MidAmerican Energy to scale its significant investment in solar and wind energy generation, according to Wall Street analysts.
"NV Energy's desire to invest in renewables and related transmission assets in Nevada parallels
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV