The broad indices all ended with slight declines, but bank stocks continued their amazing run, with the KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rising 0.5% to close at 61.43. The KBW index is up 20% this year, after rising 30% during 2012.
Investors are looking ahead to Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke's testimony before the joint congressional Economic Committee on May 22, ahead of the release of the minutes of the most recent meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, on April 30 and May 1. Investors continue to wonder, as they must, when the central bank will slow the expansion of its balance sheet from monthly purchases of $85 billion in long-term securities, in an effort to hold down long-term interest rates.
The Fed has kept the short-term federal funds rate in range of zero to 0.25% since late 2008.Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago president Charles Evans on Monday gave a hint of what the gist of Bernanke's testimony might be, saying in a speech before the CFO Society Chicago that "we need a little more time" to assess U.S. employment growth, according to a MarketWatch report. This suggested that at its next meeting on June 18 and 19, the FOMC may not curtail the Federal Reserve's net balance sheet expansion.
Capital One's shares have returned 7% this year, following a 36% return during 2012. The shares trade for 9.3 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $6.66 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Here's how that forward price-to-earnings compares to the "big four" U.S. banking club:
- Wells Fargo (WFC - Get Report) closed at $40.20, trading for 10.6 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $3.81.
- Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) closed at $13.51, trading for 10.5 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $1.29.
- Shares of Citigroup (C - Get Report) closed at $51.60, trading for 9.7 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $5.32.
- Among the big four, JPMorgan Chase (JPM - Get Report) trades at the lowest forward price-to-earnings ratio. The shares closed at $52.29 Monday, trading for 8.8 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $5.94. JPMorgan Chase will hold its annual meeting on Tuesday, with all eyes on a non-binding proxy vote on whether or not James Dimon's dual roles as CEO and chairman should be separated.
Considering the company may still be few years away from "normalized earnings," as it continues, with great success, to work through investors' mortgage repurchase demands, Bank of America's shares are looking a bit frothy. The shares have returned 16% year-to-date, following a 110% return during 2012. KBW analyst Christopher Mutascio on Sunday downgraded Bank of America to a "market perform" rating from "outperform," because the stock had come close to his price target of $13.50. "We are more than happy to take some profits off the table," Mutascio wrote in a note to investors, adding "we are in a broad-based rally in the banking sector that we admittedly don't fully understand, as it is not supported by any signs/catalysts for improved revenue growth."
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.