NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Dell's (DELL) earnings, no matter how bad they are, will take a backseat to a campaign being run by activist investor Carl Icahn to scuttle the PC-maker's $13.65 a share takeover by Silver Lake Partners and founder Michael Dell.
Dell's earnings are coming about a week ahead of schedule and CNBC reports the company may miss estimates. The question is whether earnings will have any material impact on Icahn's interest in competing for Dell after other bidders dropped out of the running for the struggling PC maker.
Already, Icahn has called Dell's takeover "the great giveaway" and sees significant value in returning the company's cash stockpile to shareholders and giving investors a leveraged stake in the company's potential turnaround or breakup.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV