I believe that activism is a cyclical phenomenon and the energy space has been ripe for activism for some very obvious reasons.
First, the energy sector has badly underperformed the rest of the stock market in the past 18 months, despite an obviously very strong market. This has occurred despite a historically high and sticky price for oil, still well over $100 a barrel globally.
With high oil prices and a rising stock market, investors are looking for their energy companies to outperform -- and are ready to see activist action make that happen if the current management is unable to do it.
That means a call for more restructurings, more divestments, higher dividends, less debt, less capex and bigger share buybacks -- just what are being called for by activist investors Carl Icahn at Transocean and Paul Singer at Hess. I discuss this trend in greater detail with Jim in the video above. At the time of publication, Dicker was long CVRR, although positions may change at any time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV