NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Bank of Korea, South Korea's central bank, cut its key interest rate last week in order to keep pace with a weaker yen. Although the Bank of Japan is adamant that they do not intend on inciting a currency war, other countries look to be suffering from Japan's policy.
The yen has depreciated against the won by about 10% since the beginning of the year, which is hurting South Korea's export market. The Bank of Korea even cited a weaker yen as a potential threat to the country's economic viability.
Below is a chart of
MSCI South Korea Index Fund
Total World Stock Index ETF
(VT). This chart shows South Korean equity weakness since the beginning of the year. In this time period the
MAXIS Nikkei 225 Index ETF
(NKY) has taken off due to a strengthening trade balance. The two countries are fierce competitors in the export market, and this chart clearly shows a competitive advantage going in the way of Japan due to their favorable monetary policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV