NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Walt Disney Co. (DIS) wants you to believe that it's different, and quarterly earnings from the world's largest entertainment company are sure to show a big gain for its movie studios, a stark contrast to declines at the film units of rivals Viacom Inc. (VIA)and Time Warner (TWX).
The anticipated gain for Disney's Studio Entertainment unit will be mostly due to a quarterly comparison with the $84 million writedown incurred as a result of the flop known as John Carter. The Carter fiasco placed the film in the infamous company of Ishtar and Heaven's Gate for movie losses. Disney is scheduled to report its fiscal second quarter earnings after the close of trading today in New York.
Disney gained 1.6% to $66.07 Tuesday to extend its advance over the past 12 months to 51%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV