NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Layoffs in the financial industry are accelerating, according to the latest report from outplacement firm Challenger Gray & Christmas.
Wall Street shed 34,856 jobs in the first four months of 2013, nearly three times the 12,860 layoffs in the first four months of 2012.
The financial sector is leading the downsizing effort in Corporate America, accounting for 19% of the job cuts announced so far in 2013. Retail, healthcare and aerospace/defense sectors are also firing more workers amid slowing consumer spending and government budget cutbacks.
Banks are laying off employees to lower costs and boost returns in a difficult operating environment. Bank of America (BAC) is in the middle of laying off as many as 30,000 workers. Citigroup (C) said late last year that it would layoff as many as 11,000 workers.Earlier this year, JPMorgan Chase (JPM) said it will slash 19,000 jobs, mostly from its mortgage banking business. American Express (AXP) said it will reduce its headcount by 4% to 6% this year, mostly in its travel business unit, as more of its customers shift to online portals for booking travel plans. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV