PORTLAND, Ore. ( TheStreet) -- The nation's blacktop is looking greener by the moment.
With new mileage restrictions coming just a few years down the road, more than two dozen vehicles in the U.S. are achieving more than 40 miles per gallon in combined mileage. Costly trips to the pump are about to get less frequent just as reaching for the plug becomes more commonplace.
The folks at Kelley Blue Book still have a fondness for calling such gas-sipping vehicles "green" and came up with 10 such cars that hit the roads at 40 mpg or better in the city and on highways. While General Motors (GM) is banking on its Chevrolet Cruze to hit that mark without any electric help, a slew of new hybrids and plug-ins are getting the job done just as efficiently.
It's an eerily quiet ride to better mileage, but there aren't a whole lot of stops along the way:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV