The broad indices all closed higher after yet another economic report showed a strengthening real estate recovery in the U.S. S&P Dow Jones Indices said Tuesday that the 10-city S&P/Case-Schiller Home Price index for February was up 8.6% from a year earlier, while the 20-city index was up 9.3% year over year. The 10- and 20-city indices showed respective increases in February from January of 0.4% and 0.3%.
"The 10- and 20-City Composites recorded their highest annual growth rates since May 2006," according to David M. Blitzer, chairman of the Index Committee at S&P Dow Jones Indices. Blitzer said in a press release that "Phoenix, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Atlanta were the four cities with the highest year-over-year price increases."
Considering that Arizona, California, Nevada and Georgia were all grossly affected by the bursting of the real estate bubble in 2008, the data underscores just how dramatically home prices are recovering.
In a note to clients following the release of the S&P Case-Schiller data, Rafferty Capital analyst Richard Bove tied the rising home prices to bank stock valuations. "The banks have marked down their holdings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV