CAMBRIDGE, Mass. ( TheStreet) -- Next week is crucial for Aveo Oncology. (AVEO) On Tuesday, the FDA will post to its web site the agency's clinical review of Aveo's experimental kidney cancer drug tivozanib. Two days later, on Thursday, FDA will convene an independent advisory panel which will dissect the tivozanib data and vote on whether or not to recommend the drug's approval.
I believe the FDA briefing documents will raise significant concerns about tivozanib's efficacy in kidney cancer and the conduct of the pivotal phase III study. This will lead the panel to vote negative, meaning a recommendation against the drug's approval.
Admittedly, my conviction level for this prediction isn't all that strong. Today's FDA seems addicted to approving all drugs, so the agency may be unwilling to subject tivozanib to the scrutiny it deserves. If the FDA takes it easy on tivozanib, the advisory panel may do the same. Tivozanib demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in progression-free survival (PFS) over Onyx Pharmaceuticals' (ONXX) Nexavar. This was the primary endpoint of the phase III study, so on this basis, the drug could get a positive vote.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV