NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to bizarro world where down is up and up is down; welcome to earnings season. Welcome to a world where companies are rewarded for poor performance, punished for good performance and where pundits are wrong much of the time. Yesterday was "opposite day" in true George Costanza fashion.
First, take Gannett (GCI), a name that has been putting up some pretty good numbers the past few years, after a rough 2008-2009, but the market has been slow to warm up to it.
Yesterday, the company announced good first quarter numbers, with revenue rising 1.6%, hitting the consensus estimate, and 37 cents earnings per share beating the consensus by two cents. All segments but advertising -- down 4.5% -- showed nice revenue gains, with broadcasting up 8.7%, and publishing circulation up 8.6%.
The market promptly rewarded Gannett with a 5% haircut, on a day that the S&P 500 was up more than 1%. What were they expecting, a dividend increase?GCI data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV