Stocks Boomerang After Twitter Hack Spooks Markets
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks indexes closed near session highs after a Twitter hacking event sent the Dow Jones Industrial Average crashing by nearly as many points as there are characters in a single tweet.
The Dow fell 143 points at about 1:08 p.m. New York time, temporarily erasing the day's gains after The Associated Press Twitter account erroneously reported two explosions at the White House coupled with a report that President Barack Obama had been injured. The maximum number of characters in a Tweet is 140.
Markets snapped back within minutes to near session highs after journalists attending a press briefing inside the White House reported that the Tweet was false. Another AP Twitter account, @apstylebook, confirmed that the @AP account had been hacked. The tweet occurred at about 1:08 p.m. EST.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV