CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (TheStreet) -- First quarter sales of Ironwood Pharmaceuticals' (IRWD) irritable bowel drug Linzess missed Wall Street expectations by a wide margin but marketing partner Forest Labs (FRX) forecast improved sales for the remainder of the year.
Ironwood shares are down 10% to $16.05 in Tuesday pre-market trading.
Net sales of Linzess totaled $4.5 million for the quarter ended March 30, well below analyst expectations of sales in the $11-13 million range. Linzess was approved in December, so the first quarter represented the first three months of the drug's commercial launch. The drug is sold in the U.S. by Forest Labs under a partner with Ironwood.
Neither company provided an explanation for Linzess' disappointing first-quarter sales, but J.P. Morgan analyst Geoff Meacham, in an email to clients, blamed inventory write-downs from the fourth quarter of last year.Forest Labs said it expects Linzess sales of $170 million for its 2014 fiscal year which ends March 31, 2014. J.P. Morgan's Meacham says the Linzess guidance is higher than the current consensus of approximately $155 million. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV